Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
downloading from site fails. bittorrent?
02-02-2011, 10:20 PM,
Sad  downloading from site fails. bittorrent?
Hi all--

trying to get the latest version from the website but the download keeps failing. have tried from two different places, one with Firefox, one with wget. Wouldn't be that big a deal if either one could find a direct link to the file and do an HTTP 'continue' download. But since the download is abstracted behind something (php?) there appears to be no direct link.

I can't find a mirror site or a torrent either. I'd gladly share my torrent back indefinitely if there were one Smile

Any chance someone could do an official torrent of the downloads? paste an SHA-1 or MD5 on the website for verification?

much appreciated! thx!

-Matt
02-03-2011, 10:25 AM,
RE: downloading from site fails. bittorrent?
[quote='matt0023' pid='183' dateline='1296681636']
trying to get the latest version from the website but the download keeps failing.
[/quote]

Yes, I have the same problem, the download keeps failing. The furthest I've got is 20MB before it fails.

I tried Downthemall which usually recovers failed downloads - but not in this case.

I looked everywhere for an alternative download, but couldn't find one. A bittorrent option would indeed be good.
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM,
Hi,

the download should work again.

Please report back here, if it fails again.

02-03-2011, 07:32 PM,
It's still not reliable, though I managed to download the 64 bit version on the fourth attempt.

I tried downloading the 32 bit version, but it fails during download. Then when I restart the download, it ignores the part that was downloaded and starts again from the beginning.
02-07-2011, 03:02 AM,
I, too, have big problems downloading either of the latest two releases. If I do get a better download rate than 2 - 4 K/s at all, the server is resetting the connection a few bytes before completion. I've tried with Orbit Downloader (no good at all) and wget. It's really frustrating... I'd also like to see an MD5sum to check the download, if it should ever work some time.

Now, after about 50 attempts, I finally succeeded in downloading the 32-bit version of the ISO-Image with wget. Downloading a legal copy of a freely available linux distribution really shouldn't be that hard... After all, this is not some obscure underground warez scene server, where illegal downloads have to be hidden behind encrypted relinks.

Using the real name of the image (stresslinux_32bit_11.3.i686-0.6.105.iso.bz2) instead of that obscure number (34) at the end of the official download link suddenly increased my download speed dramatically from 2-4 K/s to 179 K/s. The real name of the image you wish to download can be found in the first column on the download page.
Official download link for the 32-bit ISO image: http://www.stresslinux.org/sl/downloads/34
Download link I used instead: http://www.stresslinux.org/sl/downloads/stresslinux_32bit_11.3.i686-0.6.105.iso.bz2

What also helped was the automatic removal of the download fragments from my unsuccessful attempts before every new attempt and configuring wget for unlimited retries. I'm currently working on a windows machine and placed the following batch file (download.bat) in wget's bin-directory:
------- snip --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@echo off
if not exist done\ md done\
if exist stresslinux_32bit_11.3.i686-0.6.105.iso.bz2* move /Y stresslinux_32bit_11.3.i686-0.6.105.iso.bz2* done\
if exist stresslinux_64bit_11.3.x86_64-0.6.105.iso.bz2* move /Y stresslinux_64bit_11.3.x86_64-0.6.105.iso.bz2* done\
wget --no-check-certificate -t0 -b www.stresslinux.org/sl/downloads/stresslinux_32bit_11.3.i686-0.6.105.iso.bz2
wget --no-check-certificate -t0 -b www.stresslinux.org/sl/downloads/stresslinux_64bit_11.3.x86_64-0.6.105.iso.bz2
------- snip --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replacing www.stresslinux.org with the ip address of the stresslinux server (83.141.20.131) didn't resolve my download troubles, but it revealed a ssh-connection (https; port 443) and the (true?) identity of the server (https://xen-guest11.j0ke.net), which is obviously running in a virtual environment (xen). It gives error 404 (file not found), but perhaps some of you, who are more computer literate than I am, can take this information and figure out a more direct (and thus more reliable?) download link.

Just try out this command:
wget --no-check-certificate --spider 83.141.20.131/sl/downloads/stresslinux_64bit_11.3.x86_64-0.6.105.iso.bz2

I hope this post didn't bring to light some information the administrator (stresslinux) wanted to conceal from the public. All this poking about would be absolutely unnecessary if there was a "normal", direct download link available that any download manager could handle and if the download server would support resuming, so that an interrupted download would not have to be started all over again. It would certainly save bandwidth, which might be the main reason for the frequent connection resets.

I am now attempting to download the 64-bit version of the ISO-image, so wish me luck...
02-07-2011, 11:46 AM,
@stresslinux:
I've finally succeeded in downloading the 64-bit version of the ISO image, too, and I have some space to spare on my web server. Would you mind me making the two ISO images available for download on this server and, perhaps, on amule, and would you provide alternative download links on your download page which point to the two files on my web server? I do not have a paid bittorrent or rapidshare account, which, AFAIK, is needed when one wishes to upload large files to these networks.

I'll be, at any rate, waiting for your "go!" before uploading the ISO images anywhere.

Have a nice day!

Bobbele

02-07-2011, 11:39 PM,
I'm still working on the download issue, currently setting up a dedicated download environment with mirrors. please be patient.
All newer releases are also published within http://susegallery.com/
In the meantime you can try to download there.

I apologize for any inconvenience
02-08-2011, 01:48 AM,
I was able to get the 64-bit version, thanks. Bobbele I hadn't thought of just trying the file name hehe. let's hear it for simple troubleshooting.
02-23-2011, 11:29 PM,
Hi,
I can not seem to finish downloading the iso file, every time it stops after a few MB. Very please do something with it, I love your distribution.
Thank you gebo82
03-05-2011, 06:02 PM,
Hi folks,

I wanted to post a tutorial on how to get the download from this site working. Unfortunately, my posting was considered "spam" and not accepeted. I honestly don't know why... But it seems like everybody suggesting a working download method just gets banned - just look at Bobbele's posting.

Anyway, if somebody is interested in a PM with working instructions, just let me know - I'll be glad to help. I like this distro a lot and would love to see more people using it.

And no - I'm not a spammer! I hate spam!

Greets,

Rainer