Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StressLinux on AMD64??
10-18-2006, 04:08 AM,
StressLinux on AMD64??
What's the status of this work?? I have some systems that flake out and panic every few days and I'm looking for a way to stress test/reproduce the problems on demand.

I tried the latest SL ISO download and it crashes before the login prompt.

My system is a 2 x dual core Opteron (Western Scientific Fusion SA server-- based on a SuperMicro board and enclosure). Nothing fancy (no overclocking, etc).

Thanks-

--- Cris
10-22-2006, 07:30 PM,
RE: StressLinux on AMD64??
sorry for late reply,

i'm very busy at the moment and will not have time to work much on SL until end of the year.
Also i didn't get a 64bit hardware, which makes it nearly impossible for me to build and test the 64bit port.

I hope there will be some donations which will make it easier for me to develop new releases.
12-11-2006, 08:04 PM,
[quote=crhea]
What's the status of this work?? I have some systems that flake out and panic every few days and I'm looking for a way to stress test/reproduce the problems on demand.

I tried the latest SL ISO download and it crashes before the login prompt.

My system is a 2 x dual core Opteron (Western Scientific Fusion SA server-- based on a SuperMicro board and enclosure). Nothing fancy (no overclocking, etc).

Thanks-

--- Cris
[/quote]

Which mainboard were you using? I use Supermicro boards almost exclusively and haven't had any issues booting to 0.3.1 via CD or PXE. Right now I use mostly H8DCR-3, H8DA8 and H8DC8 boards.
04-11-2007, 01:22 AM,
I'd been using StressLinux on some older AMD64 SuperMicro systems (can pull MB model if useful), and had no problems. Just tried firing it up today on some new DL385's that came in, kernel panic on boot. Backtrace shows it was in init when the crash occurred. Call trace looks like:

kobject_get
kobject_add
ioapic_init_sysfs
init
init
kernel_thread_helper

EIP is at kref_get

I'm guessing this to be a bug in the 2.6 kernel rev used, probably affecting newer AMD64 platforms. Is there a .config file or any caveats that should be followed, if one wishes to compile a new kernel (and rebuild initrd to match)?

The DL385's in use are running two Opteron 2218's, 16G of RAM, and a P400 RAID controller. The previous system was running two 2214's, 16G of RAM, and an Adaptec 2160SLP.

For anyone searching posts, the final error message that appears will be:
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!